Installing a new roof admittedly represents a major project, not to mention investment, in your home. On the other hand, a new roof is one of the best investments you can make in your home. Why? Because a new roof not only keeps your family safe and comfortable, it also decreases your energy bills and increases your home’s value. In addition, if you’ve already begun thinking about selling, you can expect to recover somewhere around 71% of your new roof’s cost.
Signs You Need a New Roof
Unless your roof blows off due to a hurricane or tornado, you might not realize you need a new one. Consequently, pay attention to the following red flags:
- Shingles are cupping (edges turning upward) or clawing (edges flat, but center bulging upward).
- Shingles are missing.
- Shingles are cracked.
- Shingles are covered with algae or moss.
- Shingle granules keep showing up in your gutters.
- You can see daylight from your attic.
- You notice water stains on your ceilings and/or walls.
- Your roof sags.
- You know your roof is close to 25 years old.
New Roof Materials
Once you decide to get a new roof Prairieville or anywhere in the Baton Rouge area, you can choose from among a variety of roofing materials, including the following:
- Metal resembling slate, tile and shake
- Stone-coated steel
- Rubber slate
- Solar tiles
Virtually all of these materials are available in a variety of colors so your roof color can coordinate with or contrast with your home’s exterior colors.
Be sure to work with a reputable, experienced roofing contractor who knows your local building codes and any restrictions they place on the type of new roof you can have. For instance, many cities and counties forbid the use of wood shake roof shingles due to the fire hazard they pose.